Friday 14 October 2011

Friday: You must be yolking!

Ah, Egg Day, delighted to make your acquaintance. I must say that I love everything you stand for. You're a food enjoyed by all, from toddler to geriatric, king to convict, and you always remind me of the sun, even when you're not served sunny side up.

After a rather challenging week, with Native Americans, homosexuality, teddy bears and facing fears, daysoftheyear.com is giving me a real Friday treat. I bloomin' love eggs: fried, poached or scrambled; with pepper, ketchup or brown sauce; as part of a greasy fry-up or in a protein-rich sarnie; boiled with soldiers or transmogrified into an omelette; and regardless of time of day, location or hunger levels, I can't get enough of the little tinkers!

Without even realising I began the festivities at 1am, when I returned home from an unscheduled night out and prepared, then demolished, a fried egg sandwich on wholemeal bread. No wonder I dreamed about chickens all night.

Arriving at work, I was elated to find that a colleague had made me a gift. His name's Eggbert and I've been told he's meant to look like Hitler. I guess he has to resemble someone, right?


As part of lunch I planned on buying some Creme Eggs and eating them in a variety of ways, demonstrating the effectiveness of their marketing campaign, but the newsagent didn't stock them so I ended up with a transparent bag of what looked like Cadbury's Mini Eggs. They turned out to be Peanut M&Ms, but they were mostly egg-shaped.

I was tempted to get caviar from Tesco but decided that fish eggs were one step too far. Plus I had no idea which aisle they were down and would feel pretentious asking a member of staff, only to be told to try Waitrose.

I'm going out for the night now but I've managed to read Egg Story before leaving. Never heard of it? I urge you to buy a copy! It's only three quid and even if you're not a fan of graphic novels there's an 87% chance you'll love it. Trust me, I know my egg-themed graphic novels better than any man living.

Right, I'm off. Make sure to get some eggs down yer gullet!

Check out #eggday on Twitter and see how others around the world are marking the occasion. Messily I hope, that's the best way!

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter
Follow Days of the Year on Facebook and Twitter

He that would have eggs must endure the cackling of hens.
Proverb

No comments:

Post a Comment