Saturday 15 October 2011

Saturday: A bridge too far (to fit into my day’s schedule)

It’s the sixth and penultimate day of this writing project. I’ve been doing really well, managing to mark quite difficult editions such as Tuesday’s, when I had to temporarily come out of the closet despite not being gay. Today’s, Bridge Day, should have been an easy one because I live in Hull, which has the Humber Bridge very close by. But then life rarely is easy, wouldn’t you agree?

Daysoftheyear.com explains that the inspiration behind the occasion is the gathering of over 200,000 people to watch base jumpers plummet from the New River Gorge Bridge in Fayettevilla, West Virginia. My plan was far more simple: visit the Humber Bridge with my mam to have a walk along the foreshore and take some snaps, or maybe even go up and admire the view from below the steel cables. Instead, I spent the morning at my grandma’s before taking some photos of a work event at St Stephen’s Shopping Centre (specifically, a stilt walker wearing a big red wig), and then going home to sleep off the hangover after Friday’s heavy night out.

I didn’t even manage to leave the house in the afternoon to visit the nearby freight railway bridge. The tracks run past the end of my terrace and the footpath tunnel, less than five minutes’ walk from my front door, boasts some vivid community paintings. But instead I snored away the afternoon and early evening, waking when it was too late to visit a poorly lit area where you could rightly expect to have your wallet or liver forcibly removed.

Still, I wasn’t willing to let my lethargy breed apathy, so I built this humble little bridge on my living room carpet using a few books, one of them being Thomas Hardy’s The Mayor of Casterbridge. Mehehe!


I think now I’ll watch Iron Man on DVD. You might ask how that’s relevant, to which I would reply that the villain is played by none other than the top-class actor Jeff Bridges.

Check out #bridgeday on Twitter and see how others around the world are marking the occasion. I hope the weather was nice in Fayettevilla.

Follow me on Facebook and Twitter
Follow Days of the Year on Facebook and Twitter

Quick fact: The famous painting of the Forth Bridge will soon come to an end due to the application of glass flake epoxy paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment